It’s that time in America – Thanksgiving 2014!
Things I don’t have to worry about in the US
1. Mosquitos, geckos, cockroaches, ants, or roosters.
|Celebrating Thanksgiving in HCMC,
2013, with… eyeballs? Panda boobs? IDK, TBH.
2. Being understood by customer service, waitstaff, and literally everyone I meet.
4. Getting out of the shower and sweating.
6. Running out of room in the tiny, itty bitty fridge.
7. The internet slowing down to the pace of a quadriplegic turtle, because of sharks, or pirates, or the Chinese, or all three (you think I’m joking, but these are the standard reasons).
8. My bike breaking down on the way to work, again.
9. Oh no, the maid forgot to get drinking water/replace the gas/clean our house!
10. Being 12+ hours ahead of my friends and family.
Things I don’t have to worry about in Vietnam
1. Cat hair. No shedding. Love you, tropical cats.
2. Getting out of the shower and freezing.
3. Guns and scary, unhelpful police (I’m looking at you, asshole Detroit Airport cops).
4. Public transit trip planning and allotting HOURS to get anywhere.
5. Worrying I’ll accidentally spend all my rent money while out to eat a quick breakfast with friends.
6. Chapped lips, a winter wardrobe, wind chills from beyond hell.
7. The CTA starting on fire (Chicago had a bad day last week, but also, no subway in HCMC. Yet).
8. This tap water is too hot/drinkable!
9. Oh no, I’m late again, whatever time it is. What time is it? I don’t even know how to get where I’m going, actually. Do you have wifi?
10. No toilet paper? Bum gun. Boom. Problem solved. (Sidenote: CAN’T BELIEVE this is a thing I miss.)
BONUS: HOW DO YOU TURN ON THIS PRIUS??? // Driving a car through the country at night is downright terrifying. Also, driving a car is a lot of work.
In the next few days I’ll be posting a few recipes I was able to make at home in an oven. Keep your eyes peeled! Holidays are when you can legit pull out the stops and get weird. I had fun in the kitchen prepping everything today.
I hope your Thanksgiving is equally rewarding and comforting for you, and that you were surrounded by the people you love and that love you in return!